[ic] Interchange with WN www-server

Bas Bezemer interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Oct 17 10:35:01 2001

Hi All,

More than a week a ago I posted a question about running Interchange on
a server running a WN www-server. Jim and CFM answered but untill now I
was not able to answer them. Still having problems.

cfm@maine.com wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 12:50:35PM +0200, Bas Bezemer wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm trying to install the latest Interchange on a linux server running a
> > WN www-server. I can't get it to work properly and I'm not sure if it is
> > due to permission issues set by the provider or WN-related things.
> >
> > The installation of Interchange (execute configure) seems to be ok. And
> > de interchange server runs as well. But from here on the problems start.
> > First of all I must use the perl versions of tlink (tlink.pl) and vlink
> > (vlink.pl), because I have no permission to run de binaries. Running the
> > scripts calling from a browser returns a WN-server error message. If I
> > call the script from the command line, like:
> > ./tlink.cgi name1 name2
> > An error message is returned saying:
> > Unknown catalog: name2
> >
> > That's curious because this is a line that is generated by
> > bin/interchange. So tlink and vlink are able to communicate with the
> > interchange server but the catalogs can't be reached.
>
> IC and WN play just fine together, though I'm not sure that makecat will.
> Given the wild popularity of WN, I'd not investigate that.
>
> We install it like this (where ic473 is the version):
>
> tlink/vlink in /usr/cgi as /usr/cgi/ic473.cgi (versioned)
>
> Then within a particular catalog, <catalog>.cgi is a symlink
> to /usr/cgi/ic473.  We don't bother with cgi-bin construct.
>
> tlink/vlink can be perl if you want.  I can't see why you would have
> a problem running binaries if you built them.  Hmmm, maybe you are running
> WN with suexec?  WN has a sample.cgi in the docs/examples.  Put that
> in place of your vlink and it will dump your CGI environment and the
> WN special variables.
>
> cfm
I don't understand how the symlink suggestion could help me. And you
write that you don's use makecat to start a catalog from. What do you do
instead?.

I suspect that the properties of the server are set to execute script
files only. Further there are some error messages during makecat.

run "sh /home/users27/durmaz/catalogs/inet2/config/makedirs"? y
chmod: /home/users27/durmaz/catalogs/inet2/logs: Operation not permitted
chmod: /home/users27/durmaz/catalogs/inet2/orders: Operation not
permitted
chmod: /home/users27/durmaz/catalogs/inet2/session: Operation not
permitted
chmod: /home/users27/durmaz/catalogs/inet2/tmp: Operation not permitted

The script "makecat" tries to set permissions to "2770". Which is not
permitted as the message says. Is this the suexec connection?

At the bottom you find the output of a sample.cgi script. I'm not sure
that it is generated on exactly the same server as my account is running
from.

Jim Balcom wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Bas Bezemer wrote:
>
> BB>>The installation of Interchange (execute configure) seems to be ok. And
> BB>>de interchange server runs as well. But from here on the problems start.
> BB>>First of all I must use the perl versions of tlink (tlink.pl) and vlink
> BB>>(vlink.pl), because I have no permission to run de binaries. Running the
> BB>>scripts calling from a browser returns a WN-server error message. If I
>
> What's the error message?
>
> Make sure that you have an index.cache in each directory that you are going
> to serve from, or you will get errors.
>
> What URL are you putting in the browser to try to get to it?
>
> -= Jim =-

The errormessage I get is (from http://www.domain.nl/inet.cgi):
Error code 500
Read error
WN/2.2.9

With respect to the index.cache, all the files are indexed under the
"www"-directory. But the "catalogs/"-directory is not positioned under
the "www"-directory. I've tried to put it under www and had it indexed.
But no results. Is there a way to test if the sockets are open for
communication with interchange?

I hope this gives you some leads.

Regards,
Bas Bezemer

Here are some standard CGI environment variables:

PATH_INFO =
AUTH_TYPE =
SERVER_SOFTWARE = WN/2.2.9
SERVER_NAME = www.helpdesk.domain.nl
SERVER_PROTOCOL = HTTP/1.0
SERVER_PORT = 80
HTTP_ACCEPT = image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
image/png, */*
HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET = iso-8859-1,*,utf-8
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE = en
HTTP_RANGE =
HTTP_REFERER = http://www.helpdesk.domain.nl/docs/examples/
HTTP_USER_AGENT = Mozilla/4.77 [en] (X11; U; Linux 2.2.5-22 i586)
HTTP_FROM =
HTTP_HOST = www.helpdesk.domain.nl
HTTP_COOKIE = Test=test_cookie_value
PATH_TRANSLATED =
SCRIPT_NAME = /docs/examples/sample.cgi
SCRIPT_FILENAME =
/home/www/helpdesk.domain.nl/www/docs/examples/sample.cgi
QUERY_STRING =
REMOTE_HOST = a123456.upc-a.chello.nl
REMOTE_ADDR = 12.345.678.90
REQUEST_METHOD = GET

Non-CGI variables provided by the WN server:

URL_SCHEME = http
DOCUMENT_ROOT = /home/www/helpdesk.domain.nl/www
WN_DIR_PATH = /home/www/helpdesk.domain.nl/www/docs/examples
REMOTE_PORT = 1449
HTTP_POST_FILE =
HTTP_PUT_FILE =