[ic] Needing getting started help -- options, docs, that sort of thing... :)

Jason Balicki interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Oct 20 00:05:00 2001

Ok, first of all I'm new here.  :)  I only recently installed
Interchange
(though I *briefly* looked at minivend a LONG time ago...) and I've
gotten
it installed, changed the css and the images and whatnot.

So far it seems to be a wonderful project (product?  I never know what
say... :)  But.  (There's always a but, isn't there?)  I need some help
with a few things.

Firstly, I've installed the computer sample data and there's an Athlon
system
there with some options.  As a customer, when should I see the options?
From
what I understand, it comes up when you go to checkout, but on my setup
it
doesn't.  I've gone all the way through a transaction, and never seen
them.
And if I'm right about only getting the options during the checkout, is
there
a way to see the options before getting there -- to appease window
shoppers?
I've searched the mailing list archives to the best of my ability and
only
saw one query similar to this one, and the only answer I got to it
wasn't
very helpful to this extreme Interchange novice.  (BTW:  I *am* one of
those
longtime-since-the-early-80's Unix people, I'm just new to this whole
Interchange thing... :)

Secondly, I've downloaded the docs and glanced through them.  I've
printed the
pdf versions of most of them even.  I've even READ some, if you can
believe it!
I have no doubt there's a lot of really good info in there, but I also
notice
that RH has some printed docs for sale.  Are these docs different than
the
ones you can download?  Are they oriented more towards an end user,
rather than
a developer?  (I ask because after I get this set up, other less
technicaly
inclined individuals will be maintaining it.  If I can give them a book
read and say RTFM it will make my life MUCH easier, once I figure it
out,
of course.)

Of course, any nudges, tips, tricks, general information, and unicorn
hunting tips are appreciated as well.  If you're extremely helpful I'll
tell you about my midget fantasy.  No, don't take that as a threat.  And
it's not sexual.  :)

I appreciate any help you folks can give this newbie, and I thank you in
advance.  I'm a quick learner and if you help me now, you can force all
these newbie questions on me later.  :)

Again, thanks,

--J(K)
Jason Balicki