[ic] Interchange manuals and docs

Kevin Walsh interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Oct 26 22:23:01 2001

> > > Hi, i have downloaded some guides in pdf format from Red Hat's web, but
it
> > > seems as they are just for certain tasks.
> > >
> > > Where can i download complete documentation for Interchange?, or i just
have
> > > to buy the printed docs the Red Hat sells?, if it's so this is not so
"open"
> > > source as should be right?.
> > >
> > You are still using the Bill Gates mentality. He tells you what to do and
how
> > to do it. When you wipe your butt, be sure to use your right hand and 4
> > pieces of toilet paper and go from back to front.
> >
> Question: Does Bill wipe his own butt?

The flames were a little uncalled for, I think.
We all have to start somewhere.

In answer to the original question: I expect that you found your
PDFs at http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev-4.8/index.html.
If not then take a look there.  If these are the ones you have,
then you will find the "Tags Reference" the most useful, closely
followed by the "Database" and "Configuration" guides.

The "Catalog Building Tutorial" gives a good grounding in what
Interchange does and how to use it to build your project.
Other than the docs, playing with the included "Foundation" demo
is probably the best way to get to grips with the system, until
you are confident enough to tackle building your own system from
scratch.  I have found that a lot of the people I speak to are
using modified "Foundation" and "Construct" demos as the basis for
their own sites.

In answer to the Bill Gates question: I would think that, given the
amount of money Bill earns every day, taking time out to get up and
walk to the toilet would result in a considerable loss of earnings.
With that in mind, he probably avoids the entire butt-wiping issue by
having himself wired up to a nutrient-drip-delivery machine and a
catheter when he turns up for work each morning.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin@cursor.uk.com