[ic] Shipping Method Popup

Henry Hartley interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 12:17:00 2001

Using the Foundation Demo store, if you attempt to buy something and
proceed to check out, you are asked for shipping information.  If you
do not create an account (or log in with an existing account), the
Shipping Method popup list is not populated with any choices.  If you
fill out the form completely and submit it ("Place Order"), processing
is completed but no shipping charges are included (since you didn't
select a shipping method).  It seems that what happens is that when
the system tries to build the Shipping Method popup without knowing
the shipping location, it cannot since the system doesn't know what
methods or costs are available.

Since many people (like me) seem to take the Foundation store and
modify it for actual use, it seems like something should be done.  I
don't really know Interchange well enough to know what the best path
would be.

One option that occurs to me is to move the Shipping Method and
Billing information to another, subsequent page so that by the time
you get there, a shipping location will be known and the shipping
method popup can be populated correctly.  Is that the "right" thing to
do (i.e. will it work as expected)?  Are there other "better" methods
of dealing with this?  Are people putting Shipping Method on the same
page where Shipping Address is gathered but where the Shipping Methods
are being generated?  What am I missing?

--
Henry Hartley