[ic] Shipping Method Popup

Douglas Manning interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 18:24:01 2001

At 10:33 AM 10/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:

> >> On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Jim Balcom wrote:
> >>
> >> I am able to set a default shipping method, and the default
> >> country is set as USA, which helps narrow things down.
> >>
> >> I was running into some disgruntled users that were
> >> complaining about the lack of shipping costs. This was due
> >> to the fact that the system didn't know what zip code the
> >> order was going to. Once they put in a zip code, then
> >> the shipping cost was calculated.
> >>
> >> I ended this problem by forcing them to log in, or to set
> >> up an account before the check out page displays. They
> >> would have to give me all of that information as an
> >> anonymous user before I could ship anyways, and there is
> >> nothing asked for in setting up the account that wasn't
> >> already being asked.
> >>
> >> So, now, when the checkout page finally displays, the
> >> system already knows their zip code, it has their default
> >> country and it has their preferred shipping method, either
> >> by default or because they have entered in a choice.
> >> Shipping costs are now displayed for them and the
> >> complaints went away.
>
>Yeah, that's the other option I considered.  I may end up
>there anyway.  I wonder, since so many people seem to use
>the demo store almost as-is or at any rate as a starting
>point, should this sort of change be incorporated into it?
>It would certainly be a boon to those of us just getting
>into the system.
>
>Who does that?
>

> >> The method of forcing them to log in was posted to this
> >> list probably about 2 months ago.
>
>Sorry, I missed it.  I must not have searched on the
>right phrase.

try editing your data table to make sure you have the following
[ups-query zip='[either][value zip][or][var SHIP_DEFAULT_ZIP][/either]'
mode=......

My original just had
[ups-query mode=....

This will give you a default zip if you have the system variable for
default zip

I myself am having trouble getting the FREE shipping working based on the
amount that they spend.

Here is what my free lines look like

FREE    Free Shipping!  [subtotal noformat=1]   0       0       e
0.00          {'ui_ship_type' => "_subtotal",'ups' => "0",'PriceDivide' =>
"1",}
FREE    Free Shipping!  [subtotal noformat=1]   750     9999999
0.00            {'PriceDivide' => "1",}

any help there would be appriciated.