[ic] Postgres?

Thu Sep 6 15:54:50 2001

Donal,

We have Interchange running against Postgres here and there were some
issues.  The first was that you need to create the Postgres database
first, be running the Postgres database on the Interchange server, and
then create a user in Postgres (using psql template1) that matches the
user-name of the user you will be doing the perl -MCPAN as (i.e. if you
do that as 'root' you need a Postgres user 'root') and that user must
have 'createdb' privilage.  This has to be done _before_ you do the
'perl -MCPAN install DBD::Pg' or the 'make test' will fail.  After it's
done, you can drop that user.  Or you can assume that it's all going to
work and force it with 'make install'.  I prefer to have an install that
goes completely cleanly all the way through.

Second thing we ran into is that if you want to run Postgres on another
box, you need to use a different syntax for the DBI connnect string
in the 'makecat' command.  Where it asks for the connect string, you
can use this syntax.

dbi:Pg:dbname=<database>;host='<your-db-server>'
  e.g.
dbi:Pg:dbname=foundation;host='dbserver1'

This may be totally obvious to all those DBI gurus out there, but I
figured I should mention it.

Then you put in the username and password within that database for a
user you have created (usually interch) that has createdb privilages
in Postgres.  When you start interchange for the first time, it
discovers that the tables it needs aren't in the Postgres database
so it goes ahead and creates and populates them.  At that point
you are up and running.

Good luck

Patrick Bennett
http://www.ccgenesis.com