[ic] Possibly helpful debugging tool

Leon Harris interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 12:08:00 2001

Hi Tobias.
You should also see a series of files with names like
stracelog11948
 ( ie stracelog$pid)
in the /tmp directory.

Those contain the strace of the process that encountered the
[stracestart] tag.

It is very simple. You can send the commands START STOP STATUS and QUIT
to the fifo.
START and STOP require a process id to follow them. STATUS and QUIT do
not. STATUS is buggy because it sends the status to the last strace log
file - this will be fixed next time I get to play with it.

BTW, you need to mkfifo /tmp/strcfifo before you run the program. That
also will be fixed (automated) next time I play with it.

Finally, I wrote this to run in debug mode. Don't run it when the system
is live ! Strace does show some of the arguments passed to library calls
- this could include passwords for you database etc. These are stored in
that bastion of security, the /tmp directory, with the loosest
system-supplied (umask) permissions.  It really is insecure. It also is
useful.

Cheers, HTH
Leon