[ic] search in results page.

Wed Sep 12 09:32:01 2001

Quoting Stefan Hornburg (Racke) (racke@linuxia.de):
> Daniel Prados <dani@fotoportal.net> writes:
>
> > Hi how I can perform a search into the results of a previous search.
>
> I don't know of a way to do this, but it may be prove useful.

Well, I am not sure what everyone is talking about here, as there
is not much specific information. 8-) For the moment, I will presume
the object is something like "refine this search".

> Any idea, Mike ?

It is a question of saving the search condition somewhere and redoing
the search with additional qualifications. Probably not practical
with a many coordinated searches, as we clobber the mv_search_field stuff
anytime you specify a wildcard. You can get the search object with
$Search->{$label} (label being blank in most non-loop searches), examine
the criteria, and make a new form out of it. But that would not give
you much you could use with the example search form in "foundation".

If we saved the source of the search criteria in the search object,
it would be easier.

It might be possible to search the "more" array, i.e. something similar
to the more_alpha stuff you did, Stefan. For instance, if we had a
"mv_more_search" variable coming in, along with the cache key and
a results list carrying the information to search on, we could bypass
the initial search selection (the $limit_sub portion of a search) and
pass those results directly to the $f = $prospect portion of the
search. That would be a generalized search of an arbitrary array, given
the column names of the results.

Bottom line is, at this point it would be possible, but not be easy,
to do with embedded Perl.  It could be made easier with just a few
hooks in the Interchange search code.

phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

I don't want to get to the end of my life and find I have just
lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as
well. -- Diane Ackerman