[ic] Still Clueless - install without root

Tim Watts interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Sep 16 02:51:01 2001

I found information from several sources in the list, docs, etc. and came up
with the following which works to install without root access:

after decompressing the interchange-X.X.X.tar.gz file
upload a file named 'installopts' into the interchange-X.X.X directory

'installopts' is a plain text file which looks similar to this:

 PREFIX=/home/user/interchange \
INSTALLPRIVLIB=/home/user/interchange/lib \
INSTALLSCRIPT=/home/user/interchange/bin \
INSTALLSITELIB=/home/user/interchange/lib \
INSTALLBIN=/home/user/interchange/bin \
INSTALLMAN1DIR=/home/user/interchange/lib \
INSTALLMAN3DIR=/home/user/interchange/lib

NOTE: /home/user/interchange is the final directory for the IC software

rather than using ./config

SEND THE FOLLOWING COMMAND(S)

    cd interchange-X.X.X
    perl Makefile.PL `cat installopts`

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS DISPLAYED

    Where is your Interchange to be installed? [/home/user]

SEND THE FOLLOWING COMMAND(S)

    /home/user/interchange  #<--PREFIX from 'installopts'
    make
    make test
    make install

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS DISPLAYED

    Your Interchange main software installation appears to have been
    successful.
    You do not appear to have all the required modules installed.
    You are missing:

                Digest::MD5   #<--THESE WILL VARY DEPENDING ON SERVER
                SQL::Statement
                Safe::Hole
                Storable

                Trying to install now.
                Get Bundle::Interchange? [yes]

SEND THE FOLLOWING COMMAND(S)

    no  #<--'Bundle::Interchange' never seemed to work for me.

NOTE: The message above did not appear when I installed IC 4.8.1
After finishing the install and creating a catlog, you can log into admin to
find out what modules you need.

SEND THE FOLLOWING COMMAND(S)

    cd /home/user/interchange  #<--PREFIX from 'installopts'
    bin/makecat

FOLLOW THE QUESTIONS TO INSTALL A CATALOG

GO TO CPAN.ORG and get all the modules you need, upload to server and
decompress

When installing modules, place the same 'installopts' file in each module
install directory and use the same commands for each install:

    cd module_directory
    perl Makefile.PL `cat installopts`
    make
    make test
    make install

and the modules will be installed within your interchange install.

I've done this successfully for three sites.

Regards,
Tim