[ic] Search on mail list

JT Justman interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Sep 18 04:57:00 2001

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
>

> Thanks for the alert. That was caused by an OpenSSL update breaking
> Python, of all things. It is working now.
>
> Jon

I figured I'd just take this moment to point out that in many cases the mail
list archive does not perform as I would expect. Once I was looking for a
reply I recieved to a post some time ago, so I entered as the search spec
the entire title "Multiple search criteria for advanced search" returns
nothing when searched as a phrase, and nothing usefull when searched as any.
Searching for more basic phrases (ie "advanced search") would not turn
anything up. I concluded that the subject wasn't indexed, and copied some
text from my original post: "specify multiple attributes". A little poking
concluded that my post was not in the archive.

A whole lot of paging back manually through the indexes showed the the
message, and reply, were indeed posted to the list. My post can be found at
http://ic.redhat.com/archive/interchange-users/2001/mail23.html at the top
of the page, and the reply on the previous (next chronologically) page near
the bottom. I can see no reason why neither of these messages are
searchable.

Many other searches for posts I recall having seen turn up blank. For
example, one I have saved locally is titled "[ic] AOL 6 Users and
Interchange" and I have been unable to find it with a search.

The archives are our best documentation for Interchange and it's a shame
that some posts are not accessable. Anyone else notice this?

JT