[ic] Adding fields using mysql

Tue Sep 18 13:27:01 2001

At 05:28 PM 09/18/2001 +0200, you wrote:
>"Zack Johnson" <zack@office.standardprinting.net> writes:
>
> > I added a field to dbconf/mysql/userdb.mysql:
> >
> > Database  userdb  COLUMN_DEF   "list TEXT NOT NULL"
> >
> > However, when I restart IC, the field is not added to the database.  Under
> > Admin > table information > userdb, 'list' comes up under COLUMN_DEF, but
> > not name.
> >
> > I'm lost on this one.  I checked through the IC Docs/mail archives, but
> most
> > of everything seems focused on products, not tables in general.
>
>Hm, maybe IC considers these line only when the table doesn't already
>exist ?
>
>Ciao
>         Racke

This is my procedure for adding columns to tables when using MySQL:

1. Export the table in question via the UI.

2. Add the additional column(s) to the resulting tablename.txt file.  For a
single column I usually do this in a shell session by inserting an extra
tab at the end of each row (in the products directory):

perl -i -p -e 's/\n/\t\n/g' tablename.txt

...then I edit the file, typing the new column name at the end of the first
(header) row.

3. Delete the tablename.sql file.

4. edit CATROOT/dbconf/mysql/tablename.mysql, adding the new column
definition.  BTW - be careful with text editors that automatically create
backup copies of files - delete any backup copies that appear in this
directory!

5. Reconfigure the catalog (or restart IC, either will do the job).

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax