[ic] Select box with external table lookup in UI

Tue Sep 18 21:37:00 2001

Quoting Ed LaFrance (edl@newmediaems.com):
> At 12:06 AM 09/19/2001 +0200, you wrote:
> >Ed LaFrance <edl@newmediaems.com> writes:
> >
> > > Hi all -
> > >
> > > 4.6.5 and 4.8.1: Just curious if anyone has been able to set up a select
> > > box widget in the UI, so that it contains a list of unique values from an
> > > external database?  For instance, setting up the category selector for
> > > Items so that is displays every unique entry in the cat table
> > (currently is
> > > simply lists unique choices from the category column of the products
> > table).
> > >
> > > I have not been able to get it to work with any combination of simple
> > > settings in the meta editor; It appears something more elaborate may be
> > needed.
> >
> >What do you mean with external database ? It is no problem to fill the
> >select box with values from another table.
>
> Sorry, I meant external *table*, bad habit.  If I set the meta data as follows:
>
> widget type             ->      select box
> lookup table            ->      external_tablename
> field for lookup        ->      fieldname in external table

That is correct. To verify, check the table itself (with Jon's te editor
or a spreadsheet:

code:table::column
db:external_tablename
lookup:field
type:select

I have used this many times, so I know it works.
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mheins@redhat.com>

Friends don't let friends use Outlook. -- Bob Blaylock