[ic] Backend order entry

Wed Sep 19 13:15:00 2001

Quoting cfm@maine.com (cfm@maine.com):
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 12:15:42PM -0400, mheins@redhat.com wrote:
> > Quoting Donal H. (donalh@online.ie):
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there an API for entering orders from an external source i.e. other than
> > > directly accessing the ASCII file(s) or SQL database?
> > >
> > > If not, are there any recommendations (or major "do'"s or "don't"s) for
> > > doing this - I'd want to avoid any possible problems when upgrading to a new
> > > release of IC.
> >
> > I can't fathom why you would do this, but it really is just a question
> > of making sure the order number is unique (probably just a different
> > number sequence) and inserting the entries in orderline, transactions,
> > and userdb.
>
> It's useful for a client that might take **all** their orders
> through their online catalogs, eg including phone, fax, email,
> whatever orders.  The benefit for them is "single stream";
> everything gets handled the same way. They can get order reports,
> shipping, inventory all via intranet/web.

Aha. The ERP-less business system. I am afraid I always think of
Interchange as the front end to an accounting package.....

It is definitely possible to format a single HTTP request to
order a series of items and complete the order. For example:

<A HREF="[area
		href=ord/checkout.html
		form='
		    mv_action=submit