[ic] Help shop doesnt't work this morning :(

Stefan Hornburg Racke interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 14:18:42 2001

mheins@redhat.com writes:

> Quoting Rene Hertell (rene@hertell.com):
> > > I find it !
> > >
> > > I reinstall IC and recreate a new catalog.
> > > I move all files one per one.
> > > And the problem was my variables.txt that i have modified with microsoft
> > > excel.
> > > Excell add " to my file and this was the mistake.
> >
> > When you open a file with excel, *you have to make sure* all fields are in
> > "text" format (also numeric-fields etc). If not, excel makes too many
> > decisions instead of you, and this may screws up your whole table, as you
> > probably noticed...
> >

> Someone might mention "Database variable EXCEL 1", but it must be
> added *above* "VariableDatabase  variable" in catalog.cfg, i.e.:
>
> 	Database  variable  variable.txt  TAB
> 	Database  variable  EXCEL         1
> 	VariableDatabase variable
>
> If there is a variable.dbm in your dbconf/* directory, you will want
> to remove it to avoid a warning message.
>
> Also, if you have the Spreadsheet::ParseExcel and Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
> modules installed, you can export/import XLS files directly. (Remember
> to make the sheet name the table name, as is done on export.)

Yeah, and AFAIK there are DBI modules out for XLS files :-;

Ciao
        Racke

--
Racke happily hacks Interchange and maintains Debian packages like Courier.

For projects and other business stuff please refer to COBOLT NetServices