[ic] International Zone Based Shipping

Mark R. Misko interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Sep 19 18:10:01 2001

Just curious if anyone has done or knows about international zone based
shipping.

I am using zone based shipping for all of my shipping methods.  All of the
domestic shipping modes (UPS and FedEx modes) work out great.  I have zone
files and rate tables all set up using the Internal UPS lookup method.  It
works great!

I am having problems using the same UPS Style Lookup for international
shipping rates though.  As with domestic zones, I have a zone chart with all
the all the country codes (taken from the 'country' sql database) as my rows
and a column listing the zone.  The zone is then passed to the rate table
where the shipping is calculated.  This of course is not working for my
international setup.

Here are what I think the problems may be:

1. The UPS style uses Zip codes that are entered into the proper field to
determine the shipping zone from the chart.  I am attempting to pass the
country code variable (selector?) from the "country" database into my zone
file instead of using zip codes.  Will this work?  Maybe I do not have the
proper formula.

Instead of taking the zip code entered by the user I want to use the country
code from the "country" database.

Here is the basic charge amount formula I am using for all of my zip code
based methods:

Ground [value name=zip filter=digits default=53562]

This works for all Zip based shipping with Internal UPS selected and the
proper zone and rate files setup.

I need to be able to pass along the country code instead of the zip code.
Can I just change variable names in the formula above to make this work?
Any ideas?

2. Do I need to set up my zone tables differently instead of using the
"country" code?  Can I pass a numerical value similar to a zip code?  Is it
even possible to pass the country code?

Thanks in advance,

-Mark