[ic] About Interchange

Sun Sep 23 15:00:01 2001

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 01:12:42PM -0500, Vortex75 wrote:
> Is Interchange for E-commerce only or is it possible to use it for content
> management similar to what ASP or Cold Fusion offers? If it is possible,
> where can a "getting started" guide be found online in order to learn how to
> setup Interchange and develop for it? I have looked through the available
> docs in the documentation area but they are very vague and talk to you as if
> you have been developing it for years and know what they are talking about.
> Is there an online resource for those who are new to the Interchange system?

It is not clear what you are really asking; neither ASP nor Cold Fusion can
be considered "content management" except in an overly broad sense.  One
can build a content management system with any of them.  "Content management"
is a fabulously hip and poorly defined buzzword.  :-)  Can you be more
specific about what you want?

Outside of the ecommerce hooks, IC is really just a glorified session manager
in perl.  I'm sure there are ASP and Cold Fusion tools to maintain sessions;
it's just that they will work without sessions where IC is built on top of
the manager and won't run without it.  If you don't need state, IC is overkill.

cfm