[ic] TIPS: Adding a new mysql table to IC

Zack Johnson interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 13:11:01 2001

Thanks!

While I'm just a 'mv_metadata' beginner, there are several handy things you
can do with mv_metadata.  I should begin by saying what mv_metadata
(hereafter, 'meta', for us lazy folk) does. 'meta' is a prefix which, when
applied to a noun, means that that thing applies to other things just like
it.  A 'meta_libary' would be a library of libraries.  A 'metasitcom' would
be a sitcom about sitcoms. And 'metadata' is information about information.

Specifically, Interchange features a table which contains descriptions,
extended properties and so on regarding other Interchange tables.  Suppose I
have a table called 'leno' with a field called 'bad_joke'.  The only
information IC can "figure out" about bad_joke is that it's a VARCHAR(255)
field.  However, IC can "know" more about this field if we add an entry into
meta.  We can supply a label for bad_joke so that pages which display this
field for input mean more to us than the field name.  Using the 'label'
attribute in meta, we could setup a description that reads "Full Text of the
Bad Joke."

The mv_metadata capability extends beyond the basics like naming.  For
example, meta also allows us to apply default filters both for display and
input.  We may want to strip any HTML out of all text input to bad_joke for
security reasons.  Meta lets you do that.  You may want to display that text
in uppercase.  Meta lets you do that.  You may have select boxes (drop
downs) that let you choose a state.  That list of state can be imported from
a database table so you don't have to enter them by hand.  Meta lets you do
that too (just read the thread on 'What does it takes to create wizards').

I'm sure meta lets you do other cool thing as well.  It's just that I really
don't know what those are.

Good luck!

Zack