[ic] Segmentation fault - Core Dump

Sun Sep 30 04:59:01 2001

On Sun, 30 Sep 2001, Edward Rubottom wrote:

ER>>So.. I blew away the entire install of Interchange. Reinstalled
ER>>created a new catalog, new database, the works.. It still hurls..
ER>>but the strace is diffrent.
ER>>
ER>>Any Ideas.. Please.. Not much hair left...

IC is written entirely in Perl and HTML. HTML can not cause a core dump.
I am not aware of any application written in Perl that can cause a core
dump. YMMV.

Perl, on the other hand, is written in c/c++ and that can cause a core dump.

Not only is it possible that you have a bad implementation of Perl - maybe
it didn't compile correctly, maybe there was a power hiccup when it was
compiling and it only thinks that it compiled fine, but in one place there
is a '0' where there should be a '1'. Who knows?

But, it also links against libraries that were installed by the operating
system. One of them might be defective. Can you successfully re-compile the
kernel on that machine. That is usually a reasonably good test to see if the
libraries are functioning properly.

I think that my next step in trouble shooting would be to compile the
kernel. (This is not dangerous as long as you don't move the final binary
outputted into a place where it can get booted.) If that gets completed
sucessfully, I would get the latest and greatest Perl and compile and
install that, and then try again.

I think that you've got some problems on that machine that are far deeper
than Interchange.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Sunday, September 30, 2001 at 04:15 AM:
Hard work must have killed someone!

This Linux System has been up 130 hours