[ic] Install problems

Peter Risdon interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Apr 1 15:05:01 2002

I have tried installing Interchange 4.8.3 on RedHat 7.2 in a variety of
ways, including the tarball, but I understand the RPM is better. I have
tried on a vanilla install on a laptop, on a bells-and-whistles
workstation and on a very non-standard production server where I am
trying to migrate several sites from another running older versions of
Interchange and Minivend. No machines have less than 190MB of RAM, and
most have 500M plus. Processors range from 500MHz to 900MHz, so
resources should be OK.

I have been using this software since the Minivend days, but once it has
been set up I have tended to leave it. So I'm rusty. But not one recent
install has resulted in a running website, although interchange itself
runs without a problem.

Issues are generally the 500 error, with a premature end of script
headers in the logs. Sometimes, after fiddling about, I have got the
server unavailable/high demand problem.

I have trawled through the mailing list archive and the answers to these
frequently recurring problems seem to boild down to permissions, giving
makecat sensible answers, and machine resources. I feel I am OK on all
these things, though obviously there is a prob somewhere (and I suspect
my makecat answers as the only common denominator, although I have tried
taking all the defaults). I have installed Bundle::Interchange.  I find
the currect RedHat documentation on their website unsatisfactory. Can
anyone point me to a better install guide or a checklist for an
installed system?

Thanks in advance,

Peter Risdon.