[ic] downloads categories Help - Please :-)

Paul Jordan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Apr 1 16:28:02 2002

> Hello IC community -
>
> I have the "reports" catalog working perfectly. I am going to make an
> on-line ebook store. It will sell, paperback, books on CD and
> down-loadable books. I have two questions about this.
>
> 1) Can I create an item, the book, set the options as follows:
>         option 1 - download in .pdf
>         option 2 - download in .kml
>         option 3 - buy the book on CD
>         option 4 - buy the book in paperback
>
>    If possible how would I do this?
>    If not what is a good alternative?
>
> 2) Does anyone have a working PayPal module? My client insists on this.
>    I have searched for quite a while in the archives with little
>    success.

Hi Chris,

First off, I have a dl store also, and I will watch this post because I am
interested in the answers you may get.

I have went the way of multiple skus. So each item and item,option are a
separate sku.

b01pdf
b01kml
b01cd
b01pbk

So for each item you would have 4 entries. Sounds like a lot of entries, I
know. That is why I am going to watch your thread :)

See, options are cool, but you and I, I *think have a special problem in
that we need to serve up specific products in multiple formats right after
payment.  My downloads are pretty large, so I opted not to use IC's internal
softgood handling.  Mike Heins wrote a usertag that will create a symlink to
the product, and email the customer a link to the product for download.

If you want to do it my way, I can help out a bit. If you want to have ONE
entry in products db and have the rest be options, someone else will have to
help you out, as I couldn't figure that out.

On the Paypal tip, forget it. You can implement paypal pretty *smoothly for
a single payment, but as for "getting back" and having IC serve up
softgoods, would be a trick and a half, and not very smooth, as of now at
least.

Paul