[ic] really dumb question

Paul Jordan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Apr 11 13:55:01 2002

> Ok, I've read all of the man pages and I still can't figure out
> exactly how to
> make a product option that is a text entry box. I need to prompt
> the user for
> some extra data at order time. I don't want to create an external
> table for
> this data. Do I have to add a field to the product layout or can
> I just add an
> option. Any help is appreciated.

Hi Chris,

This is a cut and paste of an answer Kevin Walsh gave to a user some weeks
ago, they wanted to add a text value to any given item in the cart::

Quoting Kevin:
You can modify the following as you see fit:  To save a text value
along with a cart item, you can add the following to your "add to cart"
form on your flypage:

    <input type="hidden" name="mv_item_option" value="itemtext">
    <input type="text" name="mv_order_itemtext" value="" size="20">

You can retrieve this information on your cart and checkout pages,
or wherever, using a tag such as [item-modifier itemtext].  Change
the "itemtext" identifier to anything you like, but use the same
identifier in the "mv_item_option" value, the "mv_order_" name and
the [item-modifier] tag parameter.

Repeat those two lines for every one of the item's options, but change
the "itemtext" identifier.

You may also find the AutoModifier directive useful.
You can probably just have this data sent to you in report, as opposed to
making a new table

Hope it helps.

Paul