[ic] A Challenge with Regards to Options in Interchange

Cameron interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sat Apr 13 02:18:01 2002

Over the last several months I've become rather accustomed to
Interchange and it's capabilities, but the last piece of my clients site
has been troubling me for some time.  My client wishes to sell
made-to-order bridal veils.  There are a series of options which
determine the overall cost of the veil.  Veils can be from one to 3
layers, and different layers can be different sizes.  The price is
dependent on size.  To solve this I've decided on having 3 options:
layer1, layer2, and layer3, each of which modifies the price differently
depending on the selection.

The hard part is that once the customer has decided on the layers, they
can select 1 trim, and 1 accent.  Each of these is from a handful of
selections.  The problematic part is that depending on the length of
each layer, the cost of the trim and accents will vary.  Accent A on a
20" layer will cost less than that same Accent on a 72" layer.  Another
issue is that for trims, the price is fixed, but it is per layer.  So if
a trim is selected that is 15.00 per layer, and the veil is a 2 layer
veil, then the price of that trim needs to be 30.00.

I know this is possible, but I'm not sure how to make it work in
Interchange.  Ideally I would like 5 pulldowns (layer1 length, layer2
length, layer3length, trim, accent) and depending on what is selected,
compute the price.  I'm not sure if there is anyway to create a product
price in this manner however.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated,
Cameron Corda