[ic] IC and BBS

Paul Jordan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Thu Apr 18 02:35:00 2002

Hi guys

Has anyone every succesfully integrated a BBS system with Interchange. I
don't want to reinvent the wheel, and I also don't want to bulk up userdb.

I was thinking it can be as minimal as making Interchange "write" username
and password on "create account" to the BBS table as well as userdb. So
there would be a central sign UP point. Then in the BBS system, you would
disable it's "create account" feature, only leaving it's "log in" feature
functional. Thus you would sign up with one username and password in the
store (IC) and the same username and password would be usable if you chose
to log into the stores BBS system. The BBS would still write it's info to
the BBS native table (mysql, etc).

I would really like to have a BBS system, but am turned off by having to ask
for two usernames and passwords. It would get kinda odd for a customer to
log in IC, and then find his same username is already taken on the sites
BBS. That would look bad.

We could make a module for some popular BBS, much like has been done for
payment gateways. I think a BBS system would be a nice addition to any IC
store.

Has anybody done something like this, or have any experience making IC write
to two databases? Anybody want to help? I know I wouldn't be able to do this
on my own so any interest is appreciated.

Thanks

Paul