[ic] virtual hosting of IC - server downtime, etc.

Sat Apr 20 10:52:02 2002

At 02:18 AM 4/20/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello,
>I am using IC in a virtual hosting environment.  Well at least I was
>until a few days ago.  The server is running Linux and I have access to
>IC 4.8.3 through CPanel.  I have no root access.  Up until now, I have
>had my site and store up and running, and all was ok.  Suddenly, I can't
>access the interchange part of my site at all nor the administrative
>login.  I get the following error:  Undefined catalog:
>/~myuserid/cgi-bin/cart.cgi
>
>My web host company stated the following to me  "If you can access your
>site but cannot access the cart files, then it's not a problem with the
>server. It's an Interchange related problem. We can't support that or
>gaurantee it."
>
>So this is where I'm at.  I'm open to all your suggestions. If this
>downtime is a regular occurrence, then I have to find another solution.
>

>Thanks!
>
>Dan

Unfortunately, it seems that there is no shortage of hosting companies like
yours. It appears they offer IC simply because it came with CPanel and
really have no interest in learning about it, or offering the quality of
support that it requires.

It is hogwash for them to say that your problem is a software problem, not
a hardware problem, and therefore you are on your own - use of
(web-related) software on the server is a large component of what you are
paying them for each month, correct?

If you are getting the 'undefined catalog' message, you are going to need
the sysadmin's help to get your store up and running again. If you push
hard enough they will give you assistance, but I suggest you take your
business elsewhere. New Media offers Interchange hosting with your own
private IC server install and your choice of versions, and many others on
this list offer quality hosting packages as well. Start asking around.

- Ed L.

(866) 519-4680 Toll-Free       (530) 622-9426 Fax