[ic] Intermediate Order Page

Ryan Hertz interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Tue Apr 23 18:21:01 2002

At 02:14 PM 4/23/02 -0700, Orko wrote:
>We've been seeing some of our users clicking the "Place Order" button,
>waiting 5-10 seconds, then getting senile and clicking it again.  I know
>this is a common type of user-braindeadness that is constantly being
>battled against by web developers, but in our own sites outside of IC
>we've been able to change the page they are looking at on submission to
>get by most of the rinse-and-repeat users ;-)
>
>Is there a way (without using javascript) to have an intermediate page,
>like a "Please Wait" type page, between the "Place Order" and receipt?
>We have occasional Verisign slowdowns that compound this problem, and I
>would like to see the repeat submittals go down.  Even if there is a way
>to start writing the next page (Like writing the initial <HTML>
>immediately after the submit) before talking to Verisign, I could deal
>with that.

I've been thinking about implementing a Javascript solution to this
problem.  I know you said no JS.  It doesn't occur very often for me, and
it is often an insane delay, like 5-15 minutes.  I'm not sure how/why this
is even possible -- it seems to me after the checkout is submitted/complete
that the cart is emptied.  That is to say I'm not able to reproduce the
action.

I would surmise that even an intermediate page wouldn't solve the problem
when a user decides to click back and hit submit again.

Anyhow, about the question of starting to write the page..  I believe there
is an argument you can add to almost any tag to send the output buffer up
to that point.  I'm just at a lost of finding it, however.  I'm not sure if
it is documented.  :-)

I'm curious if anyone else is running into this on a frequent
basis?  Weekly?  Monthly?