[ic] getting frustrated, can't get server running

John Allman interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Dec 2 04:36:01 2002

J P wrote:

>First off, let me thank everyone for their help, I
>appreciate your bearing with me to get this going.
>From everything I can see and my limited knowledge,
>the permissions seem right.  I created a unix user
>called interch  This is the user that is supposed to
>run everything.  I did remove everything in cgi-bin
>before I re-installed (along with everything else).
>After reinstalling I even went as far as chown -R for
>interch on these directories the
>/var/catalog/foundation, /htdocs/foundation,
>/cgi-bin/foundation and /usr/local/interchange.   ls
>-la on the foundation (link) script (the only file in
>cgi-bin)shows this:
>-rwsr-xr-x   1 interch  interch  28123 Nov 29 04:05
>foundation
>so I see that it's suid and ps shows
>interch   19019  0.0  2.0 21288 20448  ??  Ss
>4:08AM   0:02.21 /usr/local/bin/perl
>/usr/local/interchange/bin/interchange --Ignore -r
>so it's running (don't know what the Ignore means).
>
>Is there some debug code I can turn on that will tell
>me what permissions aren't set right if that is the
>case?  It seems the program knows something isn't
>right and a little more info than what's shown would
>be so helpful.
>
>You know, this would be a real help folks to think,
>this idea I have.  Maybe some IC wiz could put
>together a debug/analysis script that could be run.  I
>would bet a lot of new folks would find it so helpful.
> Even if it just did things like a) does the mysql
>user have the right permissions for IC, b) is the link
>script properly setuid and owned by the right user, c)
>are all the files that need to be owned by that user,
>in fact owned by him/her and d) is the IC server
>running.   It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal
>to put something like that together.  And it would be
>very useful.

stop interchange. become interch (su interch). run interchange directly
with the -t switch (eg /usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange -t). this
should help you debug. if you dont understand what it says post it to
the list.

good luck

John