[ic] Shipping problem with three ship categories - all usps ground

J P interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Dec 2 22:05:01 2002

I'm working on setting up shipping now and I'm first
simplifying my life by shipping to US and Canada only
and then only shipping USPS ground (not ideal, but
that's what I'm comfortable with starting at).  Real
simple.

My problem though is I have three product categories,
each with it's own shipping cost structure, but
nothing sophisticated.  I have added a field to the
products table called ship_code and the entries in
there are 1, 2 or 3 (for the different shipping
structures).  Here is what I think my shipping.asc
file should look like, but I can't figure out how to
match the ship_code.

USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=1	0	0	e Nothing to
ship!
USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=1	1	10	f 5.00
USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=1	11	15	f 6.00
USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=1	16	20	f 7.50
USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=1	21	50	f 10.00
USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=1	51	99	f 15.00
USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=1	100	9999	f 25.00

USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=2	0	0	e Nothing to
ship!
USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=2	1	9999	f 10.00 *
@@TOTAL@@

USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=3	0	0	e Nothing to
ship!
USPS	Standard Shipping	ship_code=3	1	9999	f 25.00 *
@@TOTAL@@

I'm pretty sure the ship_code=1 type of entry isn't
right, but it's there for illustration.  And, of
course the whole thing needs to account for the sum of
the items in each ship code, which of course makes
everything wrong again.  So I'm assuming somewhere in
the checkout.html template maybe (or wherever it calcs
these totals), I need to create three new variables to
pass to the shipping.asc file, and those should be
simple sums of the quantity of each ship_code.

I figured it would be easiest to control it all via
the built in shipping stuff, now I'm not so sure.  Has
anyone done anything like this before and if so can
you provide a quick assist.

Thx.