[ic] Interchange backup & external database

Ron Phipps interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Dec 7 15:06:00 2002

> From: Paul Jordan
>
> Hi all
>
> I would like to start a thread where people can pitch in an contribute
> backup scenarios. I currently use:
>
>   cd ~/catalogs
>      tar cvf new_archive_file.tar name_of_site
> 	 gzip -f9 new_archive_file.tar
>

> I have not tried it but i think this would be the same:
>
>       tar -czf new_archive_file.tar files_to_archive
>
> This will place a .tar of your site in the catalogs directory with the
> name of new_archive_file.tar. You really should/could do:
>
>       tar -czf sitename.tar sitename
>
> substituting 'sitename' with the name of you site (WRT to IC).
>
> Now, I just realized that neither of these will back up the data in a
> mysql database, if just simply ran. What would be the correct method
for
> a more complete backup.
>
> Should one "export" all tables into their .txt files via ADMIN, then
run
> the above backup? That seems kinda clunky.
>
> Now, usually the entire server is backed up once a week anyways, but I
> am talking about smaller more precise backups. Using the large backup
is
> not ideal simply because of the shear size. When one needs to access
one
> sites info/files they don't need to access all server files, you know?
> Plus you wouldn't want others to have access to this large backup
> anyways.
>
> Does anybody have some clever way of exporting all their tables and
> backing up without having to export all their tables individually? Or
is
> exporting their tables in IC not the ideal way to go with this?
>
> Any input regarding backing up IC is appreciated, and please
contribute
> in a professional manner, so this will be an asset to the archives.
>
> Paul

Hey Paul,

I think the recommended way if you are using MySQL is to use mysqldump
before your backup is ran.  Mysqldump comes with mysql and is used to
dump the whole server or individual databases within the server to a
text file.  Checkout the man pages for mysqldump for the correct
options.

Good luck,
-Ron