[ic] Can i include targetted random component in non-IC pages

J P interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Mon Dec 9 03:49:01 2002

I've been looking through the docs and the list and
haven't seen any reference to this yet, but is there a
way I can include the results of a 'targetted' random
component in non-IC pages?   For example, on another
part of my site where I have built my own content
management system, I have codes that target content to
specific areas of the site.  I want to add a field to
products table that will match these codes.  What I
would like to do is on my content pages include one or
two random products where these codes match the
content page codes.  Some of the pages will be
generated by perl scripts in my CMS and others might
be static html pages.  So for example I'd like to be
able to call in my perl script or an include virtual
something like this
/cgi-bin/foundation/foundation/random/sf=content_code/se=cookbooks
then I can customize the html in random (or actually a
new copy of random that would only be used for this)
and display it on the other part of the site.  Also,
it would be nice if there weren't a match that it
didn't blow up but instead defaulted to the whole pool
of products.

I hope this makes sense, it's late, but basically I
want an ssi call to include just the random component
somewhere else on my site that will let me advertise
the products, preferably targetted to my content.
Does something like this exist or will I have to code
this from scratch?

JP