[ic] Rpc traffic mode

interch interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Dec 10 14:04:01 2002

Before I go putting much time into debugging the problems we have had
running in rpc mode, I was curious as to how high a priority maintaining
that part of the code is to the developers?

Here is my situation.  Over the last year and a half, I have run the latest
stable release of IC in rpc mode on both Redhat and Freebsd, using several
versions of perl (5.005, 5.6, and now 5.8) on both platforms, and can
consistantly cause Interchange to hang (kill -TERM won't stop it, I have to
send it a -KILL).  Usually it hangs when it is restarted after adding a new
catalog, but sometimes it will just hang randomly.

I also think that it can hang for a number of reasons.  For instance,
sometimes it hangs when it's restarted.  The old daemons don't die, but the
new ones do get started, and you end up with basically two copies of
Interchange running.  In the second scenario (less common), Interchange will
hang, and I will notice that there are a bunch of the link programs (cgi
scripts) hung also.  We run exclusively in unix mode btw..

If someone is interested in fixing these issues, I would be glad to assist,
but I would probably have more luck if one of the developers that knows that
part of the code tell me what kind of information they want, what steps to
take in the debugging process, etc..

Chris