[ic] Rpc traffic mode

interch interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Dec 10 17:34:00 2002

> > Here is my situation.  Over the last year and a half, I have run the
latest
> > stable release of IC in rpc mode on both Redhat and Freebsd, using
several
> > versions of perl (5.005, 5.6, and now 5.8) on both platforms, and can
> > consistantly cause Interchange to hang (kill -TERM won't stop it, I have
> > send it a -KILL).  Usually it hangs when it is restarted after adding a
new
> > catalog, but sometimes it will just hang randomly.
>
> Wait just a minute. What is MaxServers set to? Try 0 and see what
> happens.

Do you mean MaxRequestsPerChild ?  MaxServers isn't set at all for rpc in my
config, which is as follows..

PreFork             Yes
StartServers        5
MaxRequestsPerChild 100
HouseKeeping        2
PIDcheck            120

> I wouldn't bet on it working reliably on BSD implementations. BSD
> and Perl daemons don't get along very well, and never really have. In
> the past, broken perl implementations were sent out with FreeBSD, too. I
> don't know what the current state is, I just know that most of the
> historic high-traffic problems of IC are on BSD. And that BSD leads
> by far in the number of core-dumping bugs that have shown up in
> Perl for any mainstream OS.

Ya I have heard this before from several sources.  I'd rather try to
identify the problems though and work around them if possible, since I'd
rather keep our network on one OS for the most part if possible.  Plus, so
far the problems we have had seem to show up on bsd and linux, so maybe it's
just our configuration, that is entirely possible.  I will have to research
some more on the exact reasons for perl/bsd not getting along though.

Chris