[ic] Rpc traffic mode

Tue Dec 10 22:20:01 2002

Quoting Jeff Dafoe (jeff@badtz-maru.com):
> > Wait just a minute. What is MaxServers set to? Try 0 and see what
> > happens.
>
>     What does that do differently that would mitigate the issue?

I believe this has been the subject of long discussion in numerous
threads about 6 months ago.

Basically, Perl's signal handling is flawed and there is probably
not much we can do about it. Setting MaxServers to zero means that
USR1 and USR2 will not be used to notify the master server of child
activity. In RPC mode, that is not needed unless you are on a very
tight memory schedule.

I think that I will change the 4.9 default in PreFork mode to zero,
as it is probably best for the majority of installations that need
PreFork mode.

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

Being against torture ought to be sort of a bipartisan thing.
-- Karl Lehenbauer