[ic] State-based tax and item-based tax at the same time..logistics problem.

Mon Dec 16 12:16:01 2002

Quoting Stephanie van Doleweerd (steph@vianet.ca):
> First, thanks to Gary for helping me solve my database truncation problem
> earlier this month.
>
> I've got a bit of a challenge as far as taxation is concerned. I'm hoping
> that someone else has attempted this and can give me a shove in the right
> direction (please!). I haven't found similar situations in the archives or
> anywhere else.
>
> My store is set up for state-based tax, or in this case province-based since
> this is local to Canada. This works perfectly, with taxes calculated by
> provincial rate at the checkout. There's only one catch: Ontario has two
> different tax rates.
>
> I need to somehow be able to tell Interchange to use state-based tax unless
> the client is shipping to Ontario, in which case the tax on certain items is
> 15% and is 7% on other items.

This is tailor-made for the new Levies thing in IC 4.9. Unfortunately,
the docs for that didn't seem to make it into WHATSNEW or any
documentation. Here is the WHATSNEW entry that got left out:

* Upgrade salestax() capabililty to allow multiple levels of
  tax in "multi" mode. Also allow you to present differing
  tax rate shows:

      [loop list="__TAX_AREA__"]
         Tax for [loop-code]: [salestax state="[loop-code]"]
      [/loop]

  Allow country passing as well, as well as tax type. So
  you can do:

      [if value country eq 'CA']
      GST: [salestax tax-type=GST]
      PST: [salestax tax-type=PST]
      Tax total: [salestax]
      [/if]

  It gets better. Combined with a few fixes to Levies, you can do:

        Subtotal: [subtotal]
    [levy-list]
        [levy-param description]: [levy-param cost]
    [/levy-list]

  and get:

        Subtotal: 10.00
        GST: 0.80
        PST (MB): 0.60

  or:

        Subtotal: 10.00
        Salestax (OH): 0.55

  Depending on country and state. This arises from the settings:

    Levies  salestax gst pst shipping handling

    Levy    salestax    description         "Sales Tax (%s)"
    Levy    salestax    label               "Tax"
    Levy    salestax    part_number         SALESTAX
    Levy    salestax    include_if          "[if value country eq US]1[/if]"
    Levy    salestax    keep_if_zero        1
    Levy    salestax    type                salestax
    Levy    salestax    sort                002

    Levy    gst         description         GST
    Levy    gst         label               GST
    Levy    gst         part_number         GST
    Levy    gst         tax_type            GST
    Levy    gst         include_if          "[if value country eq CA]1[/if]"
    Levy    gst         keep_if_zero        1
    Levy    gst         type                salestax
    Levy    gst         sort                002

    Levy    pst         description         "PST (%s)"
    Levy    pst         label               PST
    Levy    pst         part_number         PST
    Levy    pst         tax_type            PST
    Levy    pst         include_if          "[if value country eq CA]1[/if]"
    Levy    pst         keep_if_zero        1
    Levy    pst         type                salestax
    Levy    pst         sort                003

    Levy    handling    type                shipping
    Levy    handling    part_number         HANDLING
    Levy    handling    mode_from_values    mv_handling
    Levy    handling    include_if          mv_handling
    Levy    handling    check_status        mv_handling
    Levy    handling    group               handling

    Levy    shipping    label               "Shipping"
    Levy    shipping    type                shipping
    Levy    shipping    part_number         SHIPPING
    Levy    shipping    mode_from_values    mv_shipmode
    Levy    shipping    check_status        mv_shipmode
    Levy    shipping    group               shipping

--
Mike Heins
phone +1.513.523.7621      <mike@perusion.com>

-- Wernher Von Braun