[ic] need to install gcc for Interchange Tarball,

Sergiusz Jarczyk interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Thu Dec 19 09:28:00 2002

Paul

[...]
> So someone on the mailing list suggested using the
> tarball install.

That was me.

> I would like to use the RPM because I know where it
> put most everything.
> I also install as root. Maybe I wasn't doing something
> right with my rpm install, and that is why it isn't working.

I still don't know why you want to install cross-compiler.
But OK, lets forget about it.
You have the tarball extracted, you're entering the interchange directory
and running the install script, right? If you're doing this as a root, the
script will print a warning message and ask for account, which should be
used to run IC server. If you have Apache running under uid and gid
different from nobody (http, for example), you can use this account. After
finishing this script, you'll get Interchange installed in, for example,
/usr/local/interchange, and the catalog data in the IC owner's home
directory. Then, you should chmod or chown /usr/local/interchange so the IC
user can read/modify the content.
Finally, as a IC user, you run 'interchange -r'. You should see as database
is populated and IC server starting.

Above is the usual way I'm installing both 4.8.x and 4.9.x, and I didn't
have any troubles, similar to your. If you need further assistance, don't
hesitate to contact me off-list - if I'll be able to help, I'll give you
some hints.

Sergiusz