[ic] Make or GCC, which one first?

Paul Arnold interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Fri Dec 20 07:54:01 2002

>What is SME? The error, received from the configure script is clear -
you >have to install 'make'.

Ok here is the skinny on the whole deal.
I went and purchased Red Hat 7.2
This was on the first computer.
After Installation, I had a hard time getting a mail server setup, or a
SMB server setup, and a web server setup. I mean literally reinstalled
RH several times redoing everything.

> How did you end up with such a crippled system?

After I was about to give up, I was on the internet, and ran across SME
by www.e-smith.org

This was before I found out about IC. I downloaded the iso and burnt it
to a cd. During installation I noticed that it reformatted my RH
machine, and installed its software.

>I am sorry but that is hilarious. Pretty brutal actually.

Apparently, giving me, a crippled machine. Hee hee
During the Install, it asked me very easy to understand questions, like
what was my domain name, the IP for the Linux machine, and other simple
questions.
When it was through installing, I had a mail server, SMB server, a web
server set up, and a jukebox server (optional of course). After it was
installed, I had setup an email address for me, and my dad, because I
was making a web server for him.

After that was running, I was reading in my RH docs, and I saw that RH
had a program called IC. So I checked it out. Immediately I was
downloading the rpm and perl modules and getting them installed. I had a
little help with a forum I think it was called interchangeville Mr.
Walsh from there had sent some great info to me that helped me. I was
able to install IC, and had setup a PGP key on my Win machine for the
encrypted email, and was able to have encrypted email sent to me by IC.
So far it is fully functional IC. And it is still working.
I have SME and IC working great on this machine.

But now, I am working on another machine my p4, and it doesn't seem to
be going as well as the first one, and I was even following the exact
same directions. I can pull up the customer and admin entrance, but when
I click on admin, it says page not found in the browser. I could click
on the customer entrance, and was able to bring up the shopping cart
front page, where you had all the tools. I could refresh the page and
see the tools change. But when I click on anything on the front page, I
get a page not found error.

This is my dilemma. Several of you very helpful persons, have helped me
some by telling me that the tarball install is the best. So I am trying
to do that install this time to see if it works any better. But I of
course do not have anything installed on here but SME, which works.
I can't install GCC because I get a cc:not found error, and make error
I can't install make because I get a gcc or cc:not found error.

Hopefully this will make some sense after reading.

Paul