[ic] Search List

Jonathan Clark interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Dec 28 08:01:01 2002

> QUESTION
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running interchange 4.9.4.
> In the Admin page going to the Design Link.
> For each section, I have a "Link Type: Simple Search"
> and I specified the field=column pairs to the
> prod_group = Name1.
>
> How do I specify the sorting order for the Search
> List.  Because its going through for the particular
> product group and list all the items in the order I
> have put on the product.txt file.  Is there a way I
> can specify the sorting order instead of the default.
>
> There's a document on how to sort it with the link
> below but it doesn't show what file I should modify.
>
> I have looked into the index.html file and did a grep
> on many pages but no luck.
>
> http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/doc/wiki/category.html?ml=1000&tf=note&wikic
> at=Databases&open=
>
> Many Thanks,
> Henry
>
> POSSIBLE SOLUTION
>
> Use the cat table for each category and specify your results criteria in
> the search box.
> eg
> tf=description
> to=x
> Will give you an alpha listing by description(to=rx is a reverse alpha)
> tf=price
> to=n (will give listing by price etc. to=rn will reverse pricing)

Rather than edit the cat table directly, use a Complex search. This allows
you to enter the searchspec including the sort order.

The simple search:

 Prod_group=Name1

becomes:

 sf=Prod_group
 se=Name1

and you can then add your sort order:

 sf=Prod_group
 se=Name1
 tf=Sort_field

Please note also that the default search type is not on the products.txt
file, it is on the database table itself. To search on the text file you
would use:

 sf=Prod_group
 se=Name1
 st=text

However, for the (presumably) coordinated search you wish to perform I would
favour a search on your database table with a sort by field.

My favourite docs pages for when I'm creating searches are:

  http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=icdatabase06%2e07
  http://www.icdevgroup.org/i/dev/docfly.html?mv_arg=icdatabase06%2e11

good luck!

Jonathan