[ic] updating drop down select menu box when value is in previous select box

Thanh Luong interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Dec 31 13:49:00 2002

Maybe I am not searching the right words in the archives, but I cant
seem to find any help on this question.

What I have is multiple select boxes on a search page, Make, Model, and
Year.
I want to be able to select lets say "Honda" under the "make" then have
the Model select box appear with all options that matches "Honda". I am
trying to use something similar to onChange="this.form.submit()" but
that doesnt work because I don't I have a search page specified. and I
dont know anything about javascript.
This is what I have so far, which is probably far from the solution.

<select name=mv_searchspec onChange="this.form.submit()">
      [loop search="
         ra=yes
	 fi=products
         st=db
	 rf=make
	 ml=1000
	 tf=make
         un=yes
      "][tmp mmake][loop-code][/tmp]
	<OPTION VALUE="[loop-code]"> [loop-code]
	[/loop]
</select>
<input type=hidden name=mv_search_field value=make>
<select name=mv_searchspec>
      [loop search="
         fi=products
         st=db
	 rf=model
	 ml=1000
	 tf=model
         un=yes
         sf=make
         se=[scratch mmake]
      "][tmp mmodel][loop-code][/tmp]
	<OPTION VALUE="[loop-code]"> [loop-code]
	[/loop]
</select><input type=hidden name=mv_search_field value=model>

Could someone give me some hints on how I can achieve this or direct me
to an old post where this question may have came up.

Thanks,
Tom - 4.8.6