[ic] Redirecting Based on Domain

Thu Jan 3 18:56:01 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Dan Browning wrote:

You were quoting the wrong message, so I deleted it all :-)

DB>>Two issues on this one:
DB>>
DB>>1. The online help interface (when you click help in the top-right
DB>>corner).  Recommendations could be made with regards to improving this,
DB>>however, I personally prefer #2:

This is usually (but not always) useless. In Construct, go into orders,
click on the 'pending' and bring up that screen and click on help. I get
help on how to add, delete and modify ITEMS - nothing to do with processing
ORDERS.

Most of the helps on this page are vague and ambiguous. One that is clear is
telling you to put in a url for where they can get help. It does not,
however, tell you what form to put that url in. (http://www.domain.com/help
or www.domain.com/help)

Now, here's a beaut! From the orders page, I clicked on the order, and then
I clicked on the shipping address. Up comes a screen where I can change that
data. Clicking on help brings up a help screen. One of the pieces of help is:

""filter" and "pre-filter" can be used to filter data destined for that field
or data read from that field, respectively"

(Kind of like for help with the coffee pot click here. Clicking produces the
text, "Use the coffeepot to make coffee in". In my perfect world, there
would be a definition/description of coffee here, or else a link to tell
the user what coffee is - perhaps in a glossary. And, there would also be
instructions (perhaps brief) on how to use the coffeemaker (put a filter in
the basket, coffee in the filter, water in the reservoir and turn it on.)

This particular help field needs to be expanded - at least with an example.
Otherwise it is non-sensical.

>From this same orders page, click on the customer and get the 'view
customer' screen. Then click on preferences. The help here tells me that I
can 'OK', 'Cancel' and 'Auto-Export'. And, a reference to using Meta Tags.
Nothing else.

Here's a field: 'project_id' How do I use that? Once I put something in
there, where else does it appear? No help.

He's got a credit limit of -57.91. What is the importance of this? No help
here.

Here is the 'inactive' field. What do I put here? No help. I clicked on the
'meta' right under it. Lot's of configurable stuff, but no help. What is
meant by 'prepend html'? What is meant by 'append html'? I clicked on 'help'
and I am told that there is no help, and I am offered a list of other things
to read.

Here is a field 'db_acl'. What's that all about? No help.
Here is a field 'file_acl'. No help for this one either.

DB>>2. There already is a document on the admin interface (the
DB>>"Administration Tool Guide").  However, it was created in FrameMaker,
DB>>and Red Hat has yet to convert it to SDF so it can be added to the
DB>>Interchange doc system.  If someone would like to volunteer to make the
DB>>conversion, I'm sure Red Hat would appreciate the contribution (I
DB>>wouldn't mind helping someone get started).

Sorry. I've got no idea what 'SDF' is. When I foraged through the docs
section last month at Akopia I saw no mention of this tool guide. Otherwise
I would have downloaded it and printed it out.

Version 4.8.3 has some brief documention pertaining to the store in man
format as well as 'POD' format. (Am I the only one that has no idea what POD
format is? or, how to use it?)

DB>>Hopefully that document and the Interchange FAQ will soon be posted at
DB>>the Ref Doc site:
DB>>
DB>>http://interchange.redhat.com/cgi-bin/ic/dev-4.8/index.html

The FAQ that I found when I was plowing around was woefully inadequate.
Perhaps I was in a different place. But, it seemed that no matter what I
did, I kept ending up at Red Hat and them trying to get me to buy Linux,
instead of helping me with Interchange.

The fact that so many newbies come in here asking the same questions over
and over should be an important clue that something is wrong.

Mike Heins is a genius. He has several people around him that are at the
near-genius level. Unfortunately, what's being written for documentation is
being done in near-genius terms which is above many heads (including mine!)

I think that one of the things that needs to be done is to get Interchange
and Akopia onto separate web pages from Red Hat. As it is,
www.interchange.com is dead and doesn't work. www.akopia.com takes you to a
Red Hat page where they want to sell you Red Hat stuff, and anything
relating to Interchange is buried behind the smoke and mirrors.

-= Jim =-

Tagline for Thursday, January 03, 2002 at 17:50 PM:
Thank you very little.

This Linux System has been up 68 hours