[ic] restart interchange

Tom Carroll interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Jan 6 03:47:03 2002

I'm using the rpm distribution of Interchange 4.8.3 (including foundation
and foundation demo) on Mitel SME v5 (based on Redhat 7.1) system.

I have Interchange automatically start when the system boots into run level
7.

The system works just fine after boot up.  However, while working on the
catalog tutorial it tells me to restart the Interchange server for my
catalog.cfg changes to take effect.  When I issue the following command:

su -c "/usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange --restart" interch

I see that the server tells me Interchange was not running.  The first time
I saw this I thought there had been a boot up failure.  I rebooted and tried
it again, but this time prior to trying to restart the server I did an
ps -ax | grep interch and sure enough it was running as pid 1244.  The logs
show it loaded for both INET and UNIX modes (curious - I told makecat to use
UNIX).  I issued the above command again and it once again told me
Internchange was not running and it started in UNIX mode only.

When I examine the error log it tells me it is running in UNIX mode only as
pid 1357 and the INET mode server failed to start on port 7786: bind:
Address already in use at /usr/lib/interchange/lib/Vend/Server.pm line 1351.
(I still don't understand why INET is running when I told makecat to use
UNIX)

I then ran another ps -ax | grep interch and it showed me having two
interchange servers running, pid 1244 and pid 1357.

The Interchange server still works and takes connections, however no updates
are being reflected on the web pages.

Next I tried the following command:

su -c "/usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange --reconfig=tutorial" interch

Still no luck -- changes are not reflected on the web pages.

I then kill 1244 and 1357 and start the server with:

su -c "/usr/lib/interchange/bin/interchange --serve" interch

The server starts in both INET and UNIX mode and everything looks great, but
now my pages will not come up.  I get that infamous "We're sorry... server
not available" page.

Any ideas?  I tried searching through the mail archive for this particular
problem, but didn't have any luck.

Thanks!

Tom Carroll
Dataware Computers