[ic] error:/dev/fd/34 line 25

Mon Jan 14 08:52:00 2002

Quoting Darren Bayliss (darrenb@spgroup.co.uk):
> Hello all,
>
> I recently managed to get interchange.4.8.3 installed on an SGI origin 200
> (IRIX 6.5.14) running netscape fasttrack (for now).
> The compilation went ok and so did the first makecat, everything seemed to
> be installed into the relevant directories etc, but I got one small glitch.
> On restart (interchange), I got the error that it could only run in UNIX
> mode,

This means that one of:

	1. Another Interchange (or other program) is already running
	on port 7786.

	2. Your system firewalls even localhost->localhost ports in that
	range.

You can try another port number by changing the TcpMap directive in
interchange.cfg and recompiling tlink with "bin/compile_link -p NNNNN",
where NNNNN is the port.

 so I went to the user folder (usr/people/interch) and upped the
> overall ownership to 755. This time when I restarted interchange, I didn't
> get any errors.
>
> Then I went to my browser to view the 'foundation' catalogue and got the
> obvious server error. I checked the server error log and found the
> following;
>
> [14/Jan/2002:01:58:17] failure: for host xxxxxxxx trying to GET
> /cgi-bin/foundation/index.html, cgi-parse-output reports: the CGI program
> /var/www/cgi-bin/foundation did not produce a valid header (name without
> value: got line "begin failed--compilation aborted at /dev/fd/34 line 25.")
>
> Has anyone got ANY ideas what this could be. I have checked the directory
> /dev/fd and there are a bunch of 'files' (which aren't files.. I don't know
> what they are) which number 1-9 (no 34).

No idea what this means. You might try running /var/www/cgi-bin/foundation
from the command line (as the user the web server runs as) and seeing what
happens. If the program is compiled properly, it should just return to the
prompt and you should see an Interchange error log entry like:

- - - [14/January/2002:08:47:10 -0500] - - CGI mapping error: REQUEST_METHOD is not defined at /work/interchange/lib/Vend/Server.pm line 162.

That indicates the link program communicated properly with the daemon. If
you don't see that, then the permissions and/or link is not compiled properly.
You would probably have to set up tlink.pl in that case -- I haven't had an IRIX
machine to test on for quite a few years.

--
Red Hat, Inc., (emailing wirelessly, _from my laptop_,
on Perl Whirl in the Caribbean Ocean)

Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second
time you make it. -- unknown