[ic] IC setup for mall or supply-chain b2b

Michael Bevan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 17:06:01 2002

I have been doing a lot of research into the
setup of a b2b supply-chain or mall-style setup
for IC. I've even started collecting posts for a
'mall-building faq' that I would eventually
like to compile and share with the community.
At this point I'm desperately seeking a little
clarity.

Scope of my project:

100 suppliers
4 very different product categories
4 very different multi-page order processes
1 Checkout with PO and CC payment options
(users pay me, I pay my suppliers by cheque
later at month end)
1 Shipping table (shipping is free)
1 Central admin for me, I control discounts
by supplier and product category
Orders are routed to me, and to my suppliers

What is the best setup for this? I am
suggesting the following...tell me if I'm
off my rocker:

1 main IC catalog
1 admin
1 main IC product table using "owner_field"
4 administrator account groups (1 per product cat)
1 site administrator account group for me (superuser)
400 administrator accounts (4 per supplier, 1 per
product category)
1 Site administrator account for me

The database will be huge. Is there any speed
benefit to dividing products into 4 tables?

Your wisdom and feedback will be most appreciated.

Mike