[ic] IC - tab-delimited text and Excel

Aaron Hazelton interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Mon Jan 21 09:39:14 2002

Hi Dave,

I ran into the same thing.  Heres what you do:

Make it in excel, then you can copy similar things and have all those
nice features...
Then go into Access DB and import the excel spreadsheet into a database.
Then export the DB table to a tab-delimited txt file and Access gives
you all kinds of options, specifically the option to use "none" for the
text qualifier..

  _____

Sincerely,
Aaron Hazelton
FixtureFactor.com V.P.
828-631-3477
aaron@fixturefactor.com

-----Original Message-----
From: interchange-users-admin@interchange.redhat.com
[mailto:interchange-users-admin@interchange.redhat.com] On Behalf Of DB
Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 10:33 AM
To: interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Subject: [ic] IC - tab-delimited text and Excel

I have IC 4.8.3 running with MySQL under Red Hat 7.1. All is well except

for Excel goofing up my tab delimited products file. As is known, Excel
adds quotation marks and carriage returns to text fields in certain
cases. I'm using Excel XP by the way.

I read the docs and list archives and got some suggestions. First it
said to use "none" as the text qualifier in Excel when opening the text
file, which I did. I also added the line
  Database products EXCEL 1
to my catalog.cfg file. But I'm still having trouble.

I can't just strip all quotation marks from the text file because many
of my products use the quotation in the description to mean inches.

I use Excel because my products database is rather large, say 50,000
items. QuattroPro is VERY slow on files this large. Maybe I should try
StarOffice? Can anyone help me solve this ?

Dave
M&D Mower
http://M-and-D.com