[ic] mail list Q

Paul Jordan interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 00:44:00 2002

Hi guys,

Forgive my  ignorance if there is already a method for this.

Is there a place to like "post" or archive <quote>modules</quote> for IC.
Like for Instance, I am a newbie, but I have created quite a functional
store (for my first try). In the process I got help from the list as well as
alot of help from Jedi Ed LaFrance. "I" have created some pretty nifty
things (pages, features) that while they maybe easy to do for you more
experienced perl-grammers, it's a steep learning curve for newbies.
Sometimes I would like to post these "features", "pages" etc. but I always
think about how full my email box gets trying to store (with organization)
this helpful reference. In other words I don't want to make the Digest any
bigger and harder to navigate than it already is.

Like for instance, I have this "favorites" page, where customers can store
their favorite items, if they don't want to buy them today. This can be very
helpful to a newbie, to see the form elements, and the "favorites" page
code. I don't want to take credit for all of it, but I would like this
functional code to get into the hands of people that may have a use for it,
as I did.

I don't want to send a big chunk of code on the list and have you guys get
pissed at me. But if there was a place we could all go that had "categories"
like FORMS, USER TAGS, SITE FEATURES, PLUG AND PLAY FOUNDATION PAGES, etc,
etc. We could just post it, without enlargenizing ;)  the list.

I am not suggesting this because I want to make it easier for the newbie,
but I think that is how open source flourishes, and gets into more peoples
hands. Now that I have some experience I see how easy it is to convert
Foundation, but at first, for us windows guys, open source (with little
support in terms of books) seemed scary.

You see how big this message is already! (sorry). Anyways, I don't want to
start this discussion again, but maybe we can have a "board" for POST ONLY,
this way it won't clutter our email folders. Also I think this will
alleviate some of your frustrations with answering questions over and over
again. A lot of questions can be answered by seeing, copying, etc.
functioning code, or similar code. I find I spend alot of time searching
questions instead of answers in the docs. You guys that are more experienced
wouldn't be burdened with as much, you know.

EX:
My hope would be to be able to UNOBTRUSIVELY post-only a functional
"favorites" page and maybe some instruction. Then Joe Blow comes along
looking for this functionality, copies it, and maybe even improves it. We
could give these things version numbers which we would obviously increment
(and post changes or improvements) in the title or subject.

This would give more people a better start with IC, and also keep the
improvements going. I have my "favorites" page functional, but I need to put
food on the table, so I am off to new problems. But If I can post this, this
"module" can flourish with fixes and improvements, In a highly logical, and
labeled destination.

I just realized there was a "pee poor doc" thread that I didn't have time to
read or participate in, and if I stupidly opened a closed issue, I am sorry.

As I said, I don't want to start this again but my host uses Cpanel, and it
has this forum feature (ducking now). I am still in the process of finishing
my site and will probably implement this forum geared to graphic artist and
photographers. If need be I can make a portion of it available for just
this. There won't be any advertising or anything. It would not be something
we need to moderate, or even visit, unless you wanted to see if there is a
certain functional script. There would be NO QUESTIONS posted, no running
dialog, etc. You see where I am going. I am thinking we can use my free
forum to be a free, fully automated "store" of hopefully tested scripts,
that will be voluntarily improved upon by users of said script, and
reposted.

I only volunteer to host this because I feel I should, since I opened my
mouth. However I have very little experience with this forum, or the topics
of IC. Said that, I could probably do a decent job because it looks pretty
easy. If someone else want s to do it, I will help them out. I can't have
mine up for probably another month.

REMEMBER- it would be a non running dialog post only.

-------------Disclaimer-------------------
I don't mind using the docs, really, but I don't think how they are set up
is conducive to progress of individual "modules" or functioning code, or IC
for that matter. THE DOCS are great for solving problems! But they don't
lend themselves to orderly individual improvement. I am not suggesting a
replacement for the list or htdig but somewhere organized where a user made
script or page and EVOLVE easily, and be free for all.

What do you think? Or should I take myself in the backyard and thrash myself
thoroughly :)

Paul