[ic] Help with IC setup and CPAN

Jason Kohles interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 11:18:59 2002

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 05:06:34PM +0100, Joachim Leidinger wrote:
> Jason Kohles wrote:
> > Data::Dumper is part of the core, if you don't want a new perl, don't try
> > and upgrade it.
>
> Or should I install for example the tarball of Data::Dumper outside of
> cpan first?

If you want to run an older version of perl, you should just use the version
of Data::Dumper that is installed, if you try and upgrade it you may run into
dependency issues.

> And how about
>
> http://archive.develooper.com/modules@perl.org/msg07393.html
>
> ? Did I read and understand it right, that cpan fetchs (and install) the
> right tarball by authors and not by module name? Please follow that
> thread.

No, it fetches them based on module name.  All this message says is "if
we set it up this way, people wouldn't have to ignore the fact that cpan
tells them that Data::Dumper is out of date."  The way it is now, the only
problem you get is that the cpan module tells you it's out of date, when
in reality it is as updated as you can get without upgrading perl.

--
Jason Kohles                                 jkohles@redhat.com
Senior System Architect                      (703)786-8036 (cellular)