[ic] creating administration interface

Jonathan Clark interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Jan 30 18:21:16 2002

> I have created some pages with the tutorial documentation. What I'd like
> to do now is to integrate the admin interface. Can somebody point me the
> right direction? I see it is quite easy with makecat, but I was not able
> to find the variables and files which control access.

As long as you have the ui (admin interface) enabled, which is the default,
you should just be able to call it up with url:
/cgi-bin/yourcatname/admin/login .. although you will need a admin user
table called 'access'.

Pages are actually not within your catalog (<catroot>/pages/admin) - they
live with the interchange application install (on my Red Hat box:
/usr/lib/interchange/lib/UI/pages/admin). If you want to modify one of these
pages, or create your own, you can put it in <catroot>/pages/admin/ and this
will override the default admin pages for just that catalog.

2nd question: access is controlled by the use of the [if-mm] tag which looks
up the user permissions in the 'access' table. The call of this tag on an
admin page is /usr/lib/interchange/lib/UI/vars/UI_STD_HEAD which generates
the page header including menu items.

Having said that, reverse engineering the ui, whilst you learn how powerful
it is, is probably not what you are after here. Its probably going to be
easier to start with a demo catalog.

have fun,

Jonathan
Webmaint.