[ic] Re: mod_rewrite example? Does anyone have an was RE: [ic] Modifying link program and links to get rid of ?s and &'s in URL

Paul Jordan interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Sat Jul 6 21:47:01 2002

> >Thank you for your e-mail.
> >
> >I've been struggling to understand RewriteRule for hours and cant get
> >past simple rewrites eg. no wildcards.  But you have saved me hours
> >investigating other means.
> >
> >Do you have a mod_rewrite example for Interchange?  I'm basicly using a
> >Foundation page and directory structure.  But cant figure it out.
> >
> >I realized I don't need to turn = into ~...it doesn't really matter
> >search engine wise...Amazon.com does it.
> >
> >My base URL for interchange is http://www.fashionfantasies.net/shop/ff
> >shop is a ScriptAlias for cgi-bin (which is below the DocumentRoot) ff
> >is the Interchange link program in the cgi-bin.
> >
> >Thanks for your help so far,
> >
> >Chris
>
> I don't personally know of any examples, but I know it has been
> done before
> (by someone who wasn't willing to share the regex).  And it doesn't itch
> enough for my to try and scratch right now.

Well, after studying your website for a few hours, I have come to the
conclusion that, yes, I have no background with the Apache Rewrite rule ;)

I am not sure if this is what you are talking about but here are these:

LINK:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html

OLD POST:

I should imagine you could do that without frames by using an Apache
'Rewrite' rule.  There's loads of info here:

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html

If I do this, would I be able to "rewrite" a subdirectory of my normal
domain
to my secure domain (the one with the SSL cert)?  Ie. rewite
https://www.domain.com/secure to http://www.securedomain.com/shop1?  Would
the browser complain that the SSL cert doesn't match the domain name?

It's not really essential, it's just that I can only install one cert (as I
only have one IP) and hence will only have one secure domain; I just thought
it might look neater this way.
--------------------------

I feel bad for being so terse with Steve, so here's the apache code to
do a redirect (though a staticly-built index.html which links to the
cgi-bin is faster).

RewriteEngine On

# matches on http://myhost.com
RewriteRule     ^$      /cgi-bin/e/index.html  [PT,L]

# matches on http://myhost.com/
RewriteRule     ^/$     /cgi-bin/e/index.html  [PT,L]

# don't change URLs like /cgi-bin/*
RewriteRule     ^/cgi-bin/.* -               [PT,L]

HTH

Paul