[ic] Cookies not persistent *SOLVED*, but...

G Guttero interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Sun Jun 2 20:56:01 2002

Ok, the reason my cookies weren't persistent was because of the path.  My
default path is something like "/~catalog/cgi-bin/cart.cgi" and I was using
"/~catalog" in the URL in the browser.  I really appreciate everyone trying
to help me out with that.

I realized though, that [set-cookie name=loginp value="mv_password"] won't
set any value in that cookie just as [value mv_password] returns nothing.
"mv_password" must have some kind of special security property that causes
this?

The manual claims that setting "mv_cookie_password" saves the username to a
cookie called "MV_USERNAME" and the password to a cookie called
"MV_PASSWORD".  So, I set mv_cookie_password with the following code:

<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="mv_cookie_password" VALUE="0">
<INPUT TYPE="checkbox" NAME="mv_cookie_password" VALUE="1">
<input type="submit" NAME="mv_check" value="Log In">

[read-cookie MV_USERNAME] and [read-cookie MV_PASSWORD] never return
anything though.  SaveExpire isn't defined in catalog.cfg so it should
default to 30 days, Cookies isn't defined so it should default to Yes, and
CookieLogin is defined as Yes.  CookieLogin isn't working as it should to
automatically log you in, but that's alright with me because I'd rather have
it work a little differently than it does in the Foundation demo.

What I basically need to do is save the username and password in cookies so
I can have them automatically filled in in the login page *if* the user
chooses the automatic login option.  That's how I'd like the automatic login
to work.  What would be the best way to do this?  It seems like using the
cookies that are set with "mv_cookie_password" should work perfectly but
those cookies just aren't being set as the manual says they are.  Any ideas?

Ed mentioned "Userdb.pm" as where the CookieLogin process takes place.
Anyone know where that is?  Maybe there's a clue in there....

- Grant