[ic] Session Dropping in High and Low Traffic SOLVED

Michael Goldfarb interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Wed Jun 5 13:46:02 2002

Thanks to everyone for all of the help with this issue and sorry again that
I cannot follow the string of comments, but we have found the cause of our
session problems.

The problem turned out not to be related to Interchange at all but rather
the HTML/JavaScript if you will believe that.  The issue was related to
preloading images for purposes of image mouseovers.  When the JavaScript
interpreter told the browser to load images and the image URIs were not
properly prepended with a beginning "/" (so that it did not reference the
images by the document root of the site - but instead sent the request
through Interchange) it would send a rapid sequence of GET requests for
pages that did not exist.  Once this happened enough (I am assuming there
is some threshold setting in Interchange), it resulted in this error in the
error log:

WARNING: POSSIBLE BAD ROBOT. 106 accesses with no 30 second pause.

Interchange dropped session because of this we think.  It was hard to reach
this conclusion because this site was for a client who had in the past run
a link checker several times on the site so this error was overlooked AND
the error messages did not always coincide (from a timing standpoint) with
session being dropped.

Adding a "/" in the JavaScript preloader fixed this problem just fine ;-)

Thanks for all the extra help.  We apologize for this false alarm.