[ic] area expansion and session id

Ron Phipps interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Fri Jun 7 01:08:01 2002

We are using a third party search engine to crawl and index our website.
We have written rewrite rules to handle the session id so that if the
engine crawls with multiple instances the resulting url's are seen as
the same url and that way the same page does not show up more then once
in the index.

What we found was that if a browser enters the site without cookies
enabled (like a web crawler does) then all the url's expand with the
session id as the cgi parameter 'id'.  It looks like this:
/page.html?id=BqBPMISu, however on other pages the session id is passed
as mv_session_id in a form parameter and appears like this:
/page.html?mv_session_id= BqBPMISu.

Is it possible to force all of the urls to be generated using the
mv_session_id cgi parameter?  This way we can have one rewrite rule to
handle the session id's and we do not have to handle the case where one
page is generated as id and the other is generated with mv_session_id.
Thanks!

-Ron