[ic] beginner questions

Michael Goldfarb interchange-users@icdevgroup.org
Tue Jun 11 10:51:01 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: interchange-users-admin@icdevgroup.org
[mailto:interchange-users-admin@icdevgroup.org] On Behalf Of Filip
Galiza
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 7:38 AM
To: interchange-users@interchange.redhat.com
Subject: [ic] beginner questions

Hi Everyone,

I am slowly building another Interchange store and my client wanted to
know
if its possible to create Online Coupons.  Essentially the concept would
be
to send out an email with a coupon code that users could redeem online.
Is
this possible?  If so, how is it done?

Also, how do I activate USPS shipping?

Thanks very much!
Filip Galiza

I have accomplished the coupon scenario you mentioned above using the
discount tags.  Whenever someone buys a gift certificate online, I have
the amount and a unique identifier populate the gift_certs table.  Then
when another user visits the site, they can enter their code (which I
have automatically email to them at time of purchase) on the checkout
page which then discounts the amount of the total order by the amount
associated in the gift_certs table.  I don't know if that is the best
way to do it, but it has worked for our clients.  I do not think that
Interchange comes with "plug-and-play" Gift Cert functionality.

You can activate UPS shipping through the admin. UI by going to
Administration-->Shipping.  Then select the methods you would like to
use and the associated countries.  If you are comfortable with it, you
can also do it by editing the shipping.asc file.  Just make sure that
the end user has their zip code entered on the checkout page since UPS
uses that to calculate shipping costs.